[AccessD] Home inventory problem

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Sat Apr 9 11:42:45 CDT 2005

First of all, I would question the usefulness of placing the objects in
numerous tables. The first problem with this design is the fact that you
have to add new tables relatively frequently. I would suggest -- at
least for purposes of kicking it around -- another structure in which
two tables -- ObjectTypes and Objects -- are used. Every time you need a
new object type, you add a row to that table. This new object may
require new columns that are not yet present in Objects. So you add
them. Then you create a view/query for each object type that exposes
only those rows from Objects that are relevant to said object type. For
example, automobiles have a VIN#, CDs don't, and so on. But on the other
hand, virtually all the objects have things in common, such as
Description, purchase date, purchase price and so on, so all queries
will contain these columns. A good way to do that is to create one query
that includes all the common columns, and additional queries (one per
object type) that add the columns unique to that type.

One significant advantage to this design is the ease with which you can
produce a report that includes all objects of all object types -- just
report the common columns.

Once you have the queries for each object type, you could generate
autoForms, set their default to DataSheet, then create a master form
with a tab control, and plonk each DS form onto its own tab. The master
form could be based on the ObjectTypes table, making the links to the
Objects table a no-brainer.

Assuming that you have a list of the properties for each object type,
you could do this whole app in a morning.

Arthur