[AccessD] RE: When did you arrive at AccessD?

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Sun Apr 17 19:35:17 CDT 2005

I second that emotion! I'm currently doing a thing called JUMP, which is
a program to teach mathematically challenged kids to do expert math. The
program works. Autistic kids remain a challenge, but short of that I can
now teach a 7-year-old to pass a grade-11 math exam in two months. The
program is fabulous. I don't get paid a cent for my time, but seeing
kids suddenly understand is the greatest reward I've ever experienced.

I did the typical silly "one-sided-piece-of-paper" thing for a group of
girls about 8-10 years old the other day. (If you don't know what that
means, take a slice about an inch wide from a newspaper page, fold it
once and tape the ends together.) The proof that this piece of paper now
has only one side is demonstrated as follows.

Take the loop and place a pen on its girth. Have a student slide the
loop under the pen. Eventually your pen-mark will arrive at its origin.
Therefore the piece of paper has only one side.

Then it gets interesting, and you should have seen the looks of
question, awe and inspiration on the girls' faces. Cut the loop
lengthwise and what do you get? Cut it again lengthwise and what do you
get? Invite them to anticipate the result before we actually make the
cut. Then we verify the various conjectures.

I don't get a penny for this, but I've had more fun doing this since
playing soccer in Grade six, when I scored three goals in one game.