[AccessD] Table of Names

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 28 06:56:07 CDT 2005

Each "type" would be an individual record then. Sounds like you have a many
to many relationship between your name table and your type table.

Name
1	Doe	John
2	Smith	Mary

Type
1	Contact
2	IssuedTo
3	IssuedBy
4	ClosedBy

NameTypemm
1	1	1
2	1	3
3	2	1
4	2	4

This all means that John Doe has a Contact and an IssuedBy type; Mary Smith
is a Contact and a ClosedBy type. The associate table, NameTypemm contains a
foreigh key to both tables. Technically, the associate key doesn't need a
separate primary key as I've shown -- you could use the combined foreign
keys as a primary key. The second column in NameTypemm is the Name foreign
key. The third column is the Type foreign key.

Is this helping?

Susan H.

Susan H.

Yes, the name of a person can fit into any or all categories. The Contact,
Closedby, ReleasedBy, etc call all be the same person.

Virginia, I could be wrong, so take this with a grain of salt -- but it
sounds like Contact, IssuedTo, IssuedBy, ClosedBy, ReleasedBy are categories
that describe each person. Before we go any further, would a "name"
entity
have more than one category?

Susan H.