[AccessD] Table of Names

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 29 10:24:52 CDT 2005

And each fire permit will have only one contact, one IssuedBy, one so on for
all the types, right? If this is the case, I agree with Stuart.

However, you might want to maintain a types table just the same -- to
control what the users enter. Are they entering a person's name, an id
number? Or what? That's why I suggested the separate types table. I don't
know what you're entering -- it maybe as simple as a Yes/No field, but if
you're referring to a name or entity, then where's that value coming from?

Susan H.

Yes. The fields are all related to a fire permit. The contact is just
someone they call if they have questions on the permit. A building may need
a fire permit. It is just a contact person (a reference point for the
permit) like a customer. But if the fireman is out & needs to write the
permit he would be a contact person & the issuer & close the permit.

So it is no different than the IssuedBy, etc. It is just a person.

***************
So contact isn't the entity then -- the permit is the entity?

Susan H.

I am getting the fields from a form they complete. It is for a fire permit.
The contact is the Responsible Person Contacted. He might also issue the
permit (IssuedTo) to himself (IssuedBy).

Anyway, I have:
Main table (tbl_Permit) that has the ContactID, IssuedToID, etc.
tbl_Type - TypeID, NameType
tbl_PermitNames - PermitNamesID, PermitNames tbl_NameType - NameTypeID,
TypeID, PermitNamesID

Do I join each one from tbl_Permit (ContactID, etc) to tbl_NameType
NameTypeID?

I still don't see how to create it on the form & reports so the drop down
boxes will know which type it is?

As I understand it, Contact is just the name of the person to contact if
there are any queries about whatever it is being tracked. It is no different
in essence IssuedBy etc.

===============OK -- you might be right -- certainly wouldn't want to
complicate the picture unnecessarily.

Susan H.