[AccessD] Find a record on a form

Klos, Susan Susan.Klos at fldoe.org
Mon Aug 1 15:16:21 CDT 2005

This is more complicated that just finding a record.  Let me explain my
situation.  I have three tables which are linked from Excel.  Someone
else periodically updates these tables.  I don't always know when they
are being updated.  I am trying to create a phone log form that uses a
tab control to show records from tblpeople on tab 1 and related calls on
tab 2.  tblpeople is populated from the three Excel tables as well as
from my input when I get a call from someone who is not in the tables.
My quandary is how to set a primary key to link the people with their
calls.  Then I want to be able to find these people on the form.  I
don't know whether to find by whole name, first name or last name in the
combo box.  Am I going to have to go to cascading combo boxes?  Adding a
new record goes back to what do I use for a primary key.  Further
complicating the issue is that many folks have more than one phone
number in the table and I want to put these in a separate phone table
and more than one responsibility which I want to put in a responsibility
table.  I know this is terribly complicated, but if anyone can give me
an idea how to set this up, I would be very appreciative.

Susan Klos

Senior Database Analyst

Evaluation and Reporting

Florida Department of Education