[AccessD] Security Problem w/existing program

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 8 09:42:07 CDT 2005

John,

<<We got it working. Somehow the shortcut was changed, and it was missing
"/user" at the end of the command line. Without this, the program just
opened up, but was the same user, with limited rights, for everyone
(this is what I meant by missing...no login). >>

  Assuming that Access security is being used, that means that the Admin
account has a blank password.

  Access user-level security is always on, but by default, JET tries a login
with a username of admin and a blank password first.  If that succeeds, then
the login is bypassed.

  It's possible to secure a databases in such a way that you can leave the
default login like this, but give the admin user limited rights.

<< It used to bring in their Citrix login ID or of
the Windows server it is on. Maybe y'all know how to do this? What is
the syntax, in a shortcut, to drag in a users Windows ID?>>

  They must have had some type of "launcher" app that created the shortcut
on the fly.

<<I am glad I asked for help though, because I did learn something. I
hadn't realized that the extensions could be changed. I am going to look
into this a little more, because it may be useful for me.>>

  A lot of folks don't realize it.  MDA's, MDW's, etc are all MDB's and
Access really doesn't care about the extension at all.  Some MDA's are
distributed as an "MDE" (no source code) ala the Wizards back with A95.

  Like my mom always said; it's what is inside that counts<g>.

Jim.

We got it working. Somehow the shortcut was changed, and it was missing
"/user" at the end of the command line. Without this, the program just
opened up, but was the same user, with limited rights, for everyone
(this is what I meant by missing...no login).

Although it is now working, the user has to enter their password, which
was automated before. It used to bring in their Citrix login ID or of
the Windows server it is on. Maybe y'all know how to do this? What is
the syntax, in a shortcut, to drag in a users Windows ID?

I am glad I asked for help though, because I did learn something. I
hadn't realized that the extensions could be changed. I am going to look
into this a little more, because it may be useful for me.

>>> jimdettman at earthlink.net 8/8/2005 9:29 AM >>>
John,

<<The program is working fine actually, but the security has
disappeared.>>

  Please define "disappeared".  What is or is not happening?

<< I am
now wondering if this is using some add-in that supercedes standard
security procedures.>>

  Access databases can have any extention and still execute (except
for
LDB).  It is possible that the developer has implemented their own
security
setup within the app and Access security is not being used.

  I would also ask; Has anything changed recently?  Hardware, software,
OS,
setup, etc.

Jim.