[AccessD] I Need Some Ideas

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 15 21:34:52 CDT 2005

Hi Bryan:

Our web site needs a lot of work to move to the next level.

A few simple things that would require a bit of research...

1. Create the definitive link list for the site. You know most of the sites
from but there are a few out there that are not obvious but definitely
should be counted... like 'http://www.colbyconsulting.com/' or
'http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com' or 'http://www.mvps.org/access/' and
many more. It would be great to be able to create the ultimate Access
research page.

2. Putting some of the great comments and code snippets into either a
gazette or new article for upcoming issues(s).

3 List member advertisement pages stores on a MS SQL DB. This is not
confirmed by the executive yet but I believe it makes sense. We should be
supporting our list members' accomplishment like their books, articles,
programs or even design and support companies. We are a way from
implementing this but the format, design, and coding can be started as it
will be a lengthy development from creation to implementation.

4. There is of course .Net... and XML/HXML/AJAX... where much of Access
development is heading/expanding. It is a truly distributive application
development platform and the performance is really awesome when using
ASP.Net client side is coupled with ADO.Net... 'a thousand users are
serviced as fast as one' (Not mine but a quote from a book.). Should we be
looking seriously at this? Articles, new lists, roll our own?

These are just a few of the web site work that is waiting to be started and
implemented.

Our current web site owners are having some problems getting our MS SQL
server up and running again but we will be getting MS SQL support one way or
the other. So you can work/plan for/with a MS SQL set of option/solutions.

Keep me posted as I am enjoying a 'fairly' flexible time constraint as well.

Jim