[AccessD] I Need Some Ideas

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Tue Aug 16 14:25:20 CDT 2005

One of my favorite Access books was "Access 95 How-To" by Ken Getz and Paul
Litwin. It was updated and re-released as the "Access Cookbook" by O'Reilly
in 2002. This book posed a problem and provided the solution together with a
detailed explanation. No extraneous junk. The reason I bring this up is that
I think an AccessD book organized along the same lines would make a
fantastic project. After all, the archives have hundreds of solution
unavailable elsewhere. AccessD could receive royalties along with the author
to allow the group to continue paying its modest bills. I presume releases
would be required from posters since some material (such as John's framework
tutorials) are intended for publication in their own book. As the authors on
this list can attest no book is an "easy" project but I think this would be
a win for AccessD, developers, and the author willing to take on the job. My
2 cents.

Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: DWUTKA at marlow.com [mailto:DWUTKA at marlow.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 11:30 AM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: RE: [AccessD] I Need Some Ideas

How about a master table-linker service?  Create a service that can be run
on any machine in the network, which 'knows' the location of all linked
tables.  One module in the database runs at startup, 'scans' the network for
the 'server' which tells it if it needs to relink it's tables or not.

I've got code for the scanning portion.....

Drew