[AccessD] Disconnected MS Access cient applications..

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Thu Aug 18 11:45:01 CDT 2005

>  If they would only consider it a development
> tool instead of a power user toy.
They(MS) seems to have VS.NET as a mainstream development tool with MS
Access becoming just a power-user toy?

> MS is moving toward XML as
> their datastore of choice for this kind of caching, and it certainly
> works and has been fairly easy to implement since at least Access 2000.
OK, what I see as the problem with all that is that when cached locally as
XML/ADO.NET datasets(behind WinForms) and one needs to implement front-end
advanced business logic they need to program a lot using navigational data
processing methods. And even ADO.NET isn' a solution here.
And if cached locally in MDB or MSDE database SQL-based(SQL as data
manipulation language I mean)  set-oriented data processing methods can be
used - so in an ideal case there will be no need to program that much
business logic for front-end applications because SQL is a very powerful
language...

> SWAG based on working extensively with VB.Net and speculating.
Sorry, what SWAG means?

>  Given
> that the next version of Access may not be available for a year or so
> and is bound to have problems at first, I think something that could be
> used now and with versions earlier than 2003 (which has its own
> problems!) is entirely sensible.
Agreed! :)
Thank you for your approval of my expectations in this area!

Shamil