[AccessD] Logic issue

Roz Clarke zora_db at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 05:30:02 CDT 2005

To tie this back to the dicussion about join tables (what I always called 'resolution' tables
because they resolve a many to many relationship), entities in the system are linked to cases via
an 'Involvements' table. This is like the idea of roles that Debbie mentioned.

So there is a big ol' library of entities (people & organisations). There is a customisable lookup
of standard capacities: Claimant, Defendant, Counsel etc. Entities are attached to cases by the
'involvement' which also gives the capacity in which they are involved; their role in the case.

This is great, because it means that we get the advantages of having all our entities in one big
table (reduces danger of duplication, which is a HUGE issue, makes finding individuals possible
when you don't know what their role might have been, etc.), and we also get the advantages of
categorisation; you can see what kinds of involvement individuals and organisations have had in
your cases.

If your search works well, and I like William's idea for dynamic filtering, there is no drawback
to having everything jammed in together. Case's searches aren't great, but they are quick, and the
users are perfectly happy, as Tom said.

Another thing the system does that you may want to consider is allow you to set defaults, so that
when you open a new case (indictment, for you) you can answer a couple of questions and it will
then pre-populate not only involvements, but details and diary entries.

The bit that doesn't work properly is attaching additional attributes to the involvements, and
you'll want to make sure you can crack this; we can add custom details such as 'Defendant's
vehicle registration' but we can't link them to a specific defendant involvement without jumping
through a lot of hoops (especially as you might have several entities attached to a case all in
the same capacity, multiple witnesses for example).

I don't know if the same holds for you, but we are required by the Law Society to undertake
conflict checks, which means that we *need* to know if our client has been the third party in
another case. This is another thing Case doesn't do very well because the front end is badly
implemented, but the table structure allows you to get the information out easily enough.