[AccessD] Virtual PC

Stuart Sanders lists at bitshk.com
Fri Dec 2 21:43:27 CST 2005

I only started using VPC (2005) a little over a week ago.  I have to install
an app at a client who doesn't have access, so I needed to test the runtime
environment.  (First for me).

Can't really comment on the server installation, but my experience with VPC
on a new notebook running at 2.1Ghz so far seems to indicate doing things
that require a link outside the virtual environment such as
installing/upgrading (installing XP took over half a day ... ) and I was
running it on my hard disk.  Part of that may have been due to me using a
dynamic partition (it keeps growing the partitiion).

Once installed though running things inside the virtual environment was
quite quick.  As an example, I initially had my test app sitting on a
virtual-share accessable to the virtual environment.  Took about 2 mins to
load the access app.  After moving it onto the virtual disk it was almost
instantaneous.  I'll readily admit I'm new to VPC though and haven't read
any docs.

As to the software firewall issue.  That probably depends more on where you
are running it.  If its a controlled environment (your office/home) and you
are strickly limiting what gets installed, then there probably isn't a
requirement.

Stuart