[AccessD] OT: How Microsoft Lost the API War

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Fri Dec 9 15:21:52 CST 2005

The article:

"How Microsoft Lost the API War"
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/APIWar.html

looks like an exaggeration here.

But VB6 incompatibility with VB.NET is a bad move IMO, which would have been
avoided with not that much efforts.

And the technology race lead(?) by MS looks really crazy(expensive) from
here for many years now...

The "safe" combinations of programming languages a' la MS(i.e. if you still
decide to keep up going with MS like I do because I don't  have/I don't see
any other opportunities) looks like pure C++ programming, with ATL/WTL
and .NET wrappers and ASP.NET...

This my crazy(?)  passage from 1st of May this year looks like becoming not
that crazy now in he light of the last Joel's article -
http://www.smsconsulting.spb.ru/shamil_s/idlpetit.htm....

Any other opinions?

Shamil

P.S. Easy to say not easy to do, as well as easy to blame not easy to make
it better - that's is clear - this my e-mail is not a "blame attempt" - it's
an invitation to talk how to make things better(less expensive, more
effective, backward compatible) in IT if possible at all....

....if you, knowledgeable ALL, will say that what happens is natural  - let
it be - I'm not here to change this World, am I?...