[AccessD] OT: Memory Lane. IBM Key Punch

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Dec 29 14:06:31 CST 2005

Hi all, not Friday yet, but ...

Joel Spolsky is sometimes rambling a bit but his recent blurb is quite entertaining:

  The Perils of JavaSchools
  http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html

He is not nice with the Java boys but what do we care.

Note, however, the picture of the IBM 026 Key Punch.
This is before my time but click on it and find a new link:

  http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/029.html

This is the 029 Key Punch which we used at the technical university here. Oh boy, did we punch some cards! I can still remember the unique feeling of the keys and the massive low-frequence sound for every punch. What a piece of machinery!

Also, note the link to the Blub Programmers and this quote:

  Lisp is worth learning for the profound
  enlightenment experience you will have
  when you finally get it; that experience
  will make you a better programmer for
  the rest of your days, even if you never
  actually use Lisp itself a lot.

I have only "tasted" LISP. All I remember is a feeling of the wonderful different syntax.
Has anyone here learned and used it?

/gustav