[AccessD] Independent Developers Question

Reuben Cummings reuben at gfconsultants.com
Mon Dec 5 11:08:29 CST 2005

> How do you test applications that you will distribute on
> systems that you do not manage or may be selling with a
> VSTO/Sagekey installation setup?

I develop and test everything myself.  Maybe I'm really good or really
lucky, but I have yet to have any major problems go out the door.  I was
nervous about installing for a while, but after 5 years of nearly perfect
installs I no longer have any concern.  And all I have ever used is the MS
Package and Deployment Wizard.

> How do you do FE/BE installs?

I use the MS PDW for the FE and the BE is usally in a Self Extracting Winzip
file.  We do 99% of our installs ourselves.  I will send install CD's if
they are really in need and I think they can do it.  I've come to find out
that even the most illetirate people can run an install CD.

> How do you know what references and active x objects are on
> the target systems?

Also used to be concerned about this, but time and experience has taken care
of my worries.

> If I do a good job with original .mdb, what issues do I need
> be aware of in this new area of development for me.

Getting updates out was my biggest problem.  I made a page for my clients to
download updates from my website.  And I use the BEU for all Back End
changes.  Now my biggest problem are clients that get new computers without
warning me and expecting me to be able to install or get them an install CD
in 2 hours...Or clients that don't back up their data and have a drive
failure and for some reason think it's my fault that they have to redo 4
months worth of work.  I created an automatic zip and ftp (with much help
from this list) procedure that zips and ftp's the data file to my webserver
with a single button click so now they have no excuse for not creating back
ups because I allow them to use my webserver for back up storage.

Reuben Cummings
GFC, LLC
812.523.1017