[AccessD] Determine Closest Two Records for a Given Value

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 12:46:06 CST 2005

On 12/7/05, Charlotte Foust <cfoust at infostatsystems.com> wrote:
> So you want to select the MAX value less than  5 and the MIN value
> greater than 5?  What do you want to happen if there is a 5 in the
> table?  Does that get returned or not?  What happens if there is no
> value less than or none greater than the distance?

Well, if there is a 5 value, then I have two ways I could go:

Return the 5 value once and use that value in the calculation.

Return the 5 value twice, pump it through the extrapolation algorithm,
and then return the 5 results (wasted resources but only 1 case to
maintain).

As to what happens when it's at the extermities, in that case I'd
assume we'd just have to use the only record we have. However, since
the table will always have a 0 distance record, this case will only
occur on the end of the table.

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein