[AccessD] OT: Is My ASP Covered

Bruen, Bruce Bruce.Bruen at railcorp.nsw.gov.au
Thu Dec 8 21:08:01 CST 2005

Guys,

One of the "whole points" of .Net is that you can run different versions
of code on the same machine.  i.e. It is supposed to get rid of dll
hell.  This applies to itself as well.

I have framework 1.0 1.1 and 2.0 all on the same machine.

If you try to run a .net 1.1 app and you have removed the 1.1 framework
then IT WONT RUN!  The "compiled" app (assembly) looks for the
major.minor.?.? Revision of all its dependencies including mscorlb.dll
If it finds major.minor.+x.? It will use that instead, but it wont run
with major.+minor.?.? Or +major.?.?.? Versionsw

Unclear?  If I publish a .net app that uses mscorlb.dll ver 1.1.4123.455
and you have ver 1.1.5612 the app will run.
If you have only ver 1.0.3123.8 then it wont run, similarly if you have
only ver 2.0.124.62 then it wont run!

I think maybe what is the crossed wire here is that THERE WAS A BETA
VERSION OF .NET 2.0 out in the world recently.  When the public release
of 2.0 occurred, the beta testers were told to remove the beta before
trying to install the real 2.0

Given that most stuff out there is 1.1 I would suggest you DON'T remove
it!!

Regards

bruce