[AccessD] Word Automation

Jürgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 9 15:34:38 CST 2005

Dan:

I use an updater that's a bit more sophisticated than the one at Tony's
site.  Tony lives here in Alberta and we have shared more than a few beers
since we met about 6 or 7 years ago.

I never did determine whether the 'file in use' problem related to the
graphic or the template.  I assume it was the graphic as I've never had a
conflict with users concurrently creating files from the same template
except when there was a linked graphic.

Our users run a terminal server environment via a dedicated interoffice
connection or a VPN connection on the net.  What this means is that no user
has a local drive, unless they are running a disconnected laptop.

Our envrionment does not allow dynamically linking ODBC files but users need
data from new estimate files daily.  My solution was to move the necessary
files to a prelinked location and reuse the existing links.  It works and is
several orders of magnitude faster (seconds vs up to 20 minutes) than
creating the link at runtime though it required me to link files separately
for each user on a one time basis.  At one time I used the user name as a
prefix to the file (table) name and had to manually link tables from the
predefined location each time we had new user.  After fighting with that
dozens of times over the years, I now represent each user with a number so
that they just get the next available number for the duration of a session.
When a user logs in, they get something like 13 or 05 and the linked table
name in Access is usysItem13 or usysDb05 and the file name in the target
directory is just the number (with the hidden file extension).  If every
user had their own disk, I could easily have used the same file name and
linked path and table name for each user.

Your suggestion requires me to create a linked template version for each
template and then for each user (or user number or I'd be redoing a set of
templates for each user as they are added) so that I can distribute a
revised logos to a the user number folder.  Essentially, I'd have to create
a complete set of templates for each user number, and then another new
template for each user every time we distribute a new kind of document and
insert the graphics manually each time.

I'd rather write a 10 line revision to my existing office letterhead
procedure to insert and size a couple files, or copy a version of it in 7 or
8 Word Template files to embed the graphic location designated by the
procedure.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta