[AccessD] OT: How Microsoft Lost the API War

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 17:27:30 CST 2005

On 12/9/05, Shamil Salakhetdinov <shamil at users.mns.ru> wrote:
> looks like an exaggeration here.

I don't know, he makes alot of sense in many of his arguments.

> But VB6 incompatibility with VB.NET is a bad move IMO, which would have been
> avoided with not that much efforts.

Definately. The move away from backwards compatibility scares me.

> And the technology race lead(?) by MS looks really crazy(expensive) from
> here for many years now...
>
> The "safe" combinations of programming languages a' la MS(i.e. if you still
> decide to keep up going with MS like I do because I don't  have/I don't see
> any other opportunities) looks like pure C++ programming, with ATL/WTL
> and .NET wrappers and ASP.NET...

It sort of worries me, because the MFC application I develop today
could be changed and completely useless when Avalon comes along. I
happen to dislike .NET due to some core reasons. While Microsoft has
made strides in being more conforming to standards in C++, I'm going
to be disgrunted if they don't provide a new unmanaged interface for
their Avalon system, but I may be forced to grin and bear it in the
end.

> P.S. Easy to say not easy to do, as well as easy to blame not easy to make
> it better - that's is clear - this my e-mail is not a "blame attempt" - it's
> an invitation to talk how to make things better(less expensive, more
> effective, backward compatible) in IT if possible at all....

Easiest way I've found so far: Don't fix what's not broken. I think
that will be a big losing point for them. If I make a non-Win
application in C++, I know it will work until the end of time if done
correctly to spec.  Making a GUI application now, I'm severely
hesitant to invest any time in any advanced GUI features, as they may
be destroyed 6 months down the line, so instead I focus on what
matters, the backend.

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein