[AccessD] OT: How To Learn VS 2005

Josh McFarlane darsant at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 17:11:35 CST 2005

On 12/11/05, Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software <bchacc at san.rr.com> wrote:
> So I loaded up VS 2005 with an eye towards converting The Sleep Advisor to a web app.  Opened it up and don't understand a thing I'm looking at.  Looks wonderful but I just don't know where to begin.
>
> So what advice does anyone have on how to get started.
>
> The guy at the Microsoft event where I got the VS 2005 strongly recommended I go to http://www.asp.net and to the tutorials.  But I'm not sure how ASP fits into the mix.  Except that the program has to collect and save and process a minimal amount of data.
>
> What's the best approach here.  Can I learn it myself?  Should I find a class? Get a book?  Hire someone to do it for me?

Play around, start small.

First thing you will need to do is get used to whatever framework you
want to use. For me and C++, it's MFC. From there you have to learn
how to handle the creation of forms and all that other fun stuff.

Put the Sleep Advisor aside for the moment, and just try to get the
hang of how to use the language you're wanting to program it in.

Once you can get a basic form up and running, then you can work
towards getting the Sleep Advisor working on it. Not sure how ASP is,
but you're likely going to have to implement a backend to handle the
database interaction if it's like C++ at all.

I don't personally know ASP so can't give you any advice on where to
start beyond that..

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein