[AccessD] OT: How To Learn VS 2005

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Mon Dec 12 11:34:52 CST 2005

Amen to that, John.  I love VB.Net and when I get dragged back into
Access, I have a terrible time trying to do things that are quite simple
in .Net and more complex in Access ... And vice versa!  But I'll pretty
much guarantee that a "learn it in a week/month/year" books aren't going
to do it for anyone.  There is so much more complexity to true n-tier
development than in Access, that there is really no comparison.  You
roll your own structure and business rules and behavior in .Net in ways
an Access developer can't imagine.  And it is really important to learn
that not only are variables like strings objects, but each time you do
something like strA = strA & vbCrLf, you're creating a new instance of
strA, and that has an impact on resources and behavior.

It's even more complicated than learning Access 2002 from scratch
without having gone through the earlier versions along the way.

Charlotte Foust