[AccessD] Serving reports to the web

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Wed Dec 21 23:12:43 CST 2005

And therein lies the problem.  No of external users unknown.  One of the
owners of the company is "selling" their services to a potential new client,
i.e. a new package where they take over administration of claims from a
company that the potential client is not satisfied with.  Details unknown
(to me).  The thing I know though is that once the floodgates open...

So figure that the client CURRENTLY has about 3500 open claims, so figure
POTENTIALLY 3500 users asking for claim status.  How many of those users are
computer literate?

So, now you need to create users whenever a person hits the web site that
doesn't already have an account.  Obviously we have personal information on
everyone.  They have to provide SSN to us, name, address, DOB etc. in order
to process the claim.  So I am certain that we have enough info to validate
them and set up the user on the web site.

"Internal users" consist of about 40 users running a VERY complex access FE,
not something that can be turned onto a web page.  A main form with up to 20
tabs with Just-in-time subforms, various tabs displayed / hidden depending
on the policy type, business rules coded into classes etc.  Not gonna
translate to web pages easily, too expensive to port, no reason to port.

All info exposed internally, i.e. users update EVERYTHING in this database.
Sometimes only supervisors etc but someone is allowed to see/modify every
single table.

Externally, unknown at this point but I am guessing that it will be mostly
"summary" data.  Claimants would get status of their claim, perhaps payment
info etc.  Read only.  Managers would get summary info most likely.  I
really haven't been provided any details yet.

As for infrastructure, the client has resisted even a SQL Server, though
Express might just get them moving on that one.  They farm out their very
simple web page hosting.  They have a single T1 coming in with 3 64k
channels used for internet access, the rest used for phones.  NO very high
speed access even available to them for a reasonable price.  This is a small
business park, miles from the center of any town.

The company is small (60 employees) with no in-house expertise in IIS or SQL
Server, and I am not up to speed on those either.

I suggested, from simple to complex, emailing reports to a provided email
address, PDF files uploaded to a server with access to those reports through
a web page, and setting up IIS to run a web site out of their office.  With
their bandwidth issues I am not sure that the latter is doable but the owner
doing the "selling" pretty much nixed the first two and asked us to examine
the third, so there we are.

I would love to see us do this stuff, and I would prefer an in-house
solution (server) so I don't also have to handle the headache of getting the
data out to an external hosted server.

It sounds like the hardware / software you discuss would not come cheap
though.

http://folding.stanford.edu/