[AccessD] Serving reports to the web

Nick nick at frasiervan.com
Thu Dec 22 19:13:38 CST 2005

This is how it all starts... and where I make my wages fixing these things.

You will need a box to act as an IIS server on the network. Pretty much as
Drew said. It does not need to be a server class machine, most modern
desktops have enough horsepower for what you are likely to be doing. Simple
RAID should be safe enough. 3500 potential users isn't that much, especially
if it's unlikely for then to be requesting claims all at once. In any case,
if it does turn out to cause a problem, then you can easily upgrade the
hardware with proven justification.

You'll need to make sure you can get your IIS box exposed to the outside
world through the T1. It should get a fixed IP address, and a name mapped to
it. Check with the ISP, they should know what you need to set up for this.
The key thing is where the DNS servers are being hosted. Since you have a
T1, this shouldn't be any problem to set up at all. You can even bring the
current simple web page hosting in house, so that domain is hosted.
Otherwise you'll actually need to get another domain name for this service.

Once you have the IIS setup, build a simple app to display the claims data
after the user enters in identifying information and the claim number. Pull
the data directly from the Access BE, or a copy or synchronized other BE.

Does this answer what you were wondering about?