[AccessD] LDB File Left Over

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Tue Dec 27 10:20:14 CST 2005

The first thing to do is look for "orphaned" instances of access.
Occasionally Access will close (cannot be seen) but not be removed from the
task list.  This will keep the be open.  Unfortunately if there are multiple
workstations using the FE, finding which computer has the orphaned instance.
But look for that.

http://folding.stanford.edu/
-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 11:13 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] LDB File Left Over

An inherited app I am working on has a pesky habit of leaving the LBD (to
the back end) on the hard disk, even though I close the app gracefully. Here
and there in the app I have noticed some code, the likes of which I have
never written, that sets a global variable to point to the BE database. I
have no idea why it might be essential or even useful to do this, nor any
idea whether it is this code that might be the culprit.
What I do know is that when this happens, even though all occurrences of
Access are closed, I cannot delete the LDB file because Explorer claims that
some process is using it. If I try to open the BE, I can do so, but if I try
to compact and repair it I am informed that I do not have exclusive use. If
I reboot, the LDB is still there but now I can kill it.
Any suggestions, people?
TIA,
Arthur