[AccessD] A97. Report with printerandpaperselectionpickswrongpaper when deployed on identica

Steve Conklin (Developer@UltraDNT) Developer at UltraDNT.com
Tue Feb 8 11:13:13 CST 2005

Right.  Lets say invoice paper internally is 123 on your pc, but 149 on
the user's.  When you set yours, the application can't find the match at
the user, so the user's pc sets it to 1 (letter).  You can write the
correct value to registry, or, I imagine get the right number out of the
registry and just use that in the PRTDEVMODE API - but I havent used
that API in years, I don't remember all the intricacies of it (Its much
easier in Access XP+, with the Printer object).
It could eventually fail though, because the value only lasts until the
user deletes the printer, or deletes the custom paper.  If they do that,
you have to dig around for it again.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 11:40 AM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: RE: [AccessD] A97. Report with
printerandpaperselectionpickswrongpaper when deployed on identica

Hi Steve

That sounds close.
So what you are saying is, that PrintMediaReady at the client initially
contains another media (paper format) than the one we wish to use? And -
if once corrected, manually or by writing the registry - it will not
fail later?

/gustav

>>> Developer at UltraDNT.com 08-02-2005 17:15:38 >>>
The issue is in the way 2000/XP handles Custom paper.

In Me/98, you only had one custom paper size per machine, represented by
the constant 255.  In 2000/XP, there is support for multiple custom
paper sizes, therefore, it is some random number that Windows gives the
custom paper sizes, that can differ from PC to PC, even with apparently
identical setups. On your PC you are assigning a paper-size number that
the client doesn't have, as the default paper, when you set your paper
to Invoice.  The client PC defaults to letter because it can't find the
same paper size number as on your PC.

You have to dig in Registry, under:
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\<<printer name>>\DsDriver
The PrintMediaSupported key has multiple values.  Find Invoice, then use
that as the value for PrintMediaReady.

Or - do what I did - give the user a "Setup" screen.

Steve