[AccessD] Totals Query: Top Predicate

Admin Sparky dba.email at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 12:57:02 CST 2005

Jim, group,

I'm having difficulties correlating M$'s subquery example...
***************
Add the following fields to the query grid:
Field: CategoryName
Sort: Ascending

Field: ProductName

Field: UnitsInStock
Sort: Descending
Criteria: In (Select Top 3 [UnitsInStock] From Products Where _
[CategoryID]=[Categories].[CategoryID] Order By [UnitsInStock] Desc)
***************

...to my original query.  The goal is to return only the top 5
[Sum([qry1].Errors) AS SumOfNumberOfErrors] for each [InputYear] /
[InputMonth] combination.  The below query returns all of the
necessary records, I just need to limit the results.  Am I having
difficulties because I'm attempting this with a totals query?

SELECT         [qry1].InputYear,
                    [qry1].InputMonth,
                    [qry1].fkChecklistItem,
                    Sum([qry1].Errors) AS SumOfNumberOfErrors,
                    [qry1].ByMonthYear,
                    [qry1].[CODE DESCRIPTION]
FROM            [qry1]
GROUP BY    [qry1].InputYear,
                    [qry1].InputMonth,
                    [qry1].fkChecklistItem,
                    [qry1].ByMonthYear,
                    [qry1].[CODE DESCRIPTION]
ORDER BY    [qry1].InputYear,
                    [qry1].InputMonth,
                    Sum([qry1].NumberOfErrors) DESC;

Methinks I need a bit of hand-holding on this one:(  I could achieve
this via temp tables as suggested, but I would really prefer to learn
from this.

Many TIA,

Mark