[AccessD] Running remote desktop server or vnc as a service

dmcafee at pacbell.net dmcafee at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 17 22:24:54 CST 2005

Well first of you all, they need to install the file (and video driver)
under an account with admin rights. It should set up as a service that runs
at boot up (mine does).

Is this computer behind a firewall? You may need to open up some ports.
There is some good info here: http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/faq.htm
BTW, you are using the UltraVNC version of VNC, aren't you? If not, the
setup file and video drivers are available from that site as well.

Does the client's IP change frequently? My personal SBC account changes
every five minutes or so, so I had to use a little program called DeeEnEs
dynamic DNS updater to ping/update my ip. This program is available for free
as well at : http://www.palacio-cristal.com/products/DeeEnEs .

I also had to set up a DNS address at http://www.dyndns.org/ so I can type
my url from work and it resolves my IP and connects me back to my home
computer.

Oh, and make sure they log off the computer when finished and don't actually
shut it off :)

HTH
David