[AccessD] OT: What are you lot doing now and then?

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Mon Feb 21 13:34:50 CST 2005

1) Access development
2) Same, only better. I've even begun building my own classes thanks to
everyone here.
3) I work for a company with 1,500 employees, $450,000,000 revenue. I am in
the accounting/finance dept. but am the only VBA programmer in the company.
I build/run/maintain all the executive level financial reporting models
using Access/Excel/monarch linked to the AS400 and SQL server databases. I
say executive level to distinguish from the daily "accounting" reports that
typically come directly from the AS400 accounting system. I generally deal
in summary data (tables < 250,000 records)which is perfect for Access.
4) CPA is my only certification. I also have an MBA.

I would like to add that the ability to straddle the IT and
accounting/finance worlds can be extremely lucrative. "In the land of the
blind the one eyed man is king", i.e. any accountant who develops a modicum
of programming skills (or IT person who understands accounting) can position
themselves as liaison/interpreter between the two groups. For example,
simply being able to explain what a relational database is to accounting
managers can be a big help to them as is helping them understand the
technical implications of their IT requests. Also, building one's own
programs to automate manual processes can increase personal productivity
tremendously making one that much more valuable to the organization.
Actually, I am surprised that more IT people don't take this route. The
analytical abilities and mindset are very similar.

Jim Hale