[AccessD] Query tuning in Access?

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Thu Feb 24 08:41:13 CST 2005

Depends on the situation.

When using the data in a form, you could prcoess that at the form level.

In a non-continious form it would only executed once each time you
change from record.
In case of a continious form you could use a combo/listbox. This would
only executed x times x records on you form.

Difference is that if you have 10000 records in your table, if you do it
in the query it gets executed 10000 times, in the form only as much as
you change records.

Sometimes you need to use IIF or choose, of u also use filter criteria
you should think about creating two queries. 1 to filter and  a second
one (based on the first one) tu use IIF in.
Depending on your criteria your IIF get only execute 20 times instead of
10000 times....

Erwin