[AccessD] OT: Report Generator in .Net

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 21:07:58 CST 2005

Stuart,

Well, I discovered quite by accident that if, say, two text boxes are
located side by side but separated by some white space that if you
select them both and pick Format | Align | Left, the rightmost text
box will go snug up against the leftmost text box. That is, they don't
line up with the left edge of the leftmost text box. That, of course,
happens with text boxes that are separated by vertical space, too.
Access doesn't allow two text boxes to overlap when the Align command
is used and they're already vertically or horizontally aligned.

Oh, sure, I can get one column, then, that has thick lines around the
text boxes while the rest of the columns have thin lines. My complaint
about Access' ability to create grids in reports (notwithstanding
Charlotte's aesthetic objections to their appearance) is that if one
of the text boxes can grow vertically to accommodate more text, only
that "cell" grows on that row. The rest of the text boxes stay their
original size. So this nice grid is busted up by a goofy looking row
with one box taller than the rest. I'm just floored that after this
much time, Access doesn't have a "grid" or a "table" control that
works like a table in Word so that one field can have lots of text,
making the height of all the cells in that row grow to match the
tallest one's height.

My alternate "grid" with a light gray background just offers a different look.

Steve Erbach