[AccessD] Document storage, recommendations

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Feb 25 04:52:08 CST 2005

Hi Marty

Thanks.
This sounds like having a safe margin. Or it could be derived from fax
which often is 200x100.

Remember, the first LaserJet printed with 150 dpi and printing with 300
dpi allowed for fine and narrow print like that in a phonebook:

http://www.printerworks.com/Catalogs/CX-Catalog/CX-HP_LaserJet.html

Also, I've found that hand writing doesn't need much resolution; what
causes problems is very fine and/or thin print.

/gustav

>>> martyconnelly at shaw.ca 25-02-2005 02:13:10 >>>
My records management guy says 200 dpi for legal reasons well at least

Canadian especially if there are signatures
400 dpi if colour, don't know about compression level though.
 There might be a way to drop a blob field into an ado stream then drop

stream into an image object
haven't tried it though, might be faster than creating a temp file.

Gustav Brock wrote:

>Hi all
>
>The client wish to store scanned documents, thousands of pages,
>everything black/white, no pictures - only invoices, contracts and
the
>like. Also, the storage should be in the (or a) database, not as
>discrete picture files.
>
>I've played with the recently discussed file format DjVu and found,
>that file sizes of less than 10 K is realistic. However, this format
>seems a little too specialized, thus I've tried using the PNG format
>which at max. compression allows for files sizes down to about 15 K
per
>page.
>The file will then be stored as a blob in the database. For display,
>the blob is extracted to a temp file and viewed. In this way 1000
pages
>will use about 25 MB of database storage which is acceptable.
>
>Before settling on this I would like to know if any of you have
>experience with what the minimum specs for an acceptable picture of
>document pages (A4 or Letter) are? I've found that 150x150 dpi, b/w
(two
>colours) and the max. compression level of 9 for PNG is acceptable.
But