[AccessD] Synch an Access Table with a linked Outlook table.

Klos, Susan Susan.Klos at fldoe.org
Tue Jan 11 11:27:47 CST 2005

I have an access table (People) which contains more than just outlook
contacts.  I have linked three contact folders.  When a contact in one of
the outlook folders changes, I would like to be able to "synch" the folder
to my People table.  This might involve appending a new contact to People or
changing certain information in an already existing record to correspond to
the outlook contact.  I am thinking that I will probably have to use several
queries to do this.  My thoughts were to:

1) create a query using People and Accountability Contacts (One of the
linked table).  What do I use for key fields.  I was thinking a phone number
but many contacts do not have a phone number separate from the main district
number.  I was also looking into FName and LName.  So far that works.  I
just don't know what to do if I get two people in my database with the same
name.

2) draw a line between the FName and LName fields of both tables.

3) if the Records match, then update all the relevant data.  Then put a
check in the updated field for each record that gets updated.

4) I would also have a field in People which I would check when the record
is created to not be updated by Outlook.

5) Then I could append any records that didn't have a checkmark in either
the Updated or not to be updated fields.

Now I have to figure out what to do with records in People who should no
longer be there.

Does it sound like I am on the right track or so far out in left field I may
as well get out of the game.  Thanks for any and all input.

Susan Klos

Senior Database Analyst

Evaluation and Reporting

Florida Department of Education