[AccessD] Parsing String

Mitsules, Mark Mark.Mitsules at ngc.com
Thu Jan 13 14:42:09 CST 2005

Group,

I have a large recordset of strings that need to be split up by length,
maximum of 53 characters per line, not to exceed 2 lines.  The issue I am
struggling with is maintaining logical word breaks.  For instance, here is
an example string (watch for line wrap):

VENTILATION CONNECTION UNDER 1ST, 2ND & 3RD PLATFORM, FR 37-39 - HANGER
DETAILS MANUFACTURING

Can anyone suggest a good routine to accomplish this?  Here are my first
thoughts...  I would like to take any line over 40 characters and split it
into 2 lines, so the pseudocode might be something like:

If len(strTitle) > 40, Then
 starting point is at the halfway point
 If at a space, then
  make the break here
 Else
  count number of characters forward to a space
  count number of characters backward to a space
  make the break at the lower of the two
 End If
End If

Thanks for any suggestions.