[AccessD] IBM Cloudscape, Apache Derby

Paul Strauss Paul at PStrauss.net
Sun Jan 9 12:02:28 CST 2005

At 1/9/2005 06:21 AM, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Anyone having any experience with this open-source db engine?
>
>http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/zones/cloudscape/

No, but I have had a good bit of experience with IBM software in general.
When it comes to software, the acronym "IBM" means "I Build Mediocre". I
have never used any IBM software that is easy-to-use, lean-and-mean, or
that is overall better than the competition. When you look at their
offerings from a little ways off, it looks really good. However, when you
open the box and actually try to start using the stuff, you'll find all
sorts of nasty gotcha's. IBM isn't nearly as good at writing software as it
is at writing press releases. When I am using IBM software, it always seems
to feel as if I have hitched a team of elephants to my little donkey cart;
it doesn't go as fast as I really want it to, it takes a whole lot more
care and feeding than I need it to, and most of what it can do, I'll never
need. A few years ago I was working with their WebSphere messaging
software, called MQ-Series back then. I could barely believe that it had
support for OS/2 in it, but I was totally dismayed when I found out they
attempted to support Windows 3.x!!! Now, don't get me started on Lotus...

If you need an open source engine, just look at MySQL or some of the other
open source engines to find one that meets your needs.

Regards,
Paul Strauss

•  Web Site Design, Graphics, and Hosting (www.RationalHosting.net)
•  MS Access Database Custom Applications
•  Technical Support and Consulting

718-253-5535
<mailto:Paul at PStrauss.net>Paul at PStrauss.net