[AccessD] OT: Windows 98 problem

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Jan 13 00:04:29 CST 2005

On 12 Jan 2005 at 21:51, Jim Lawrence wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> This is an OT question but I just can not remember the solution for. I have
> an old Windows98 box running so I can still support legacy programs.
> Recently, I lost access to the command prompt. (I suspect a virus or
> Trojan.)
>
> Many moons ago I remember there was a hack, registry or other-wise that
> could disable command access... does anyone know what it was????

To remove the Run Command from the Start Menu on Windows 9x and NT

Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
Value Name: NoRun
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

To disable the MS-DOS Command Prompt on Windows 9x and NT

1. Using Regedit find the key below, creating it if it doesn't already
exist.
2. Create a new DWORD value, and name it 'Disabled'.
3.To disable the command prompt modify the value of 'Disabled' to '1', and
to re-enable it again later change the value to '0'.

Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WinOldApp]
Value Name: Disabled
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: (0 = disable, 1 = enable)

--