[AccessD] FW: Skip Over the Login Screen with a Shortcut

Fri Jan 14 10:24:53 CST 2005

" All of the security is set up in the .mdw file, so there is no need
 for passwords et all.  Someone make my week productive, please?"

Huh?

What's secure about a system that does not require a password? True, you can
assign user names to user groups and so restrict what a specific user can
do. But if there are no passwords then all any user needs to do is find out
what the user name is of someone with more rights, and bingo... off they go
to unauthorized database browsing land.

If you need security you need passwords - even if Access security not
terribly strong. An alternative approach is to restrict what users can do
based upon their LAN ID, then you can avoid using passwords to get into the
database, but you'll have to roll your own 'security' code. I believe
someone on this list has a lightweight security framework to do just that..

Lambert