[AccessD] A2003:Calculating Percentages - and their currency values

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Jan 15 09:21:23 CST 2005

Hi Darren

Yes, you divide by 1+GST.
A GST of 12.5% equals 0.125. Add 1 to get 1.125.

Having said that, our local GST hasn't changed for 13 years but that is
probably because it represents the maximum acceptable (25%).
10%? Happy days!

/gustav

>>> d.dick at uws.edu.au 15-01-2005 15:52:10 >>>
Hello all
In Australia we have a sales tax apply to all purchases. It's called
GST
(Like VAT in Britain)

At the moment the Govt. has set this Tax at 10 percent. Makes the maths
very
simple by Just adding 10 percent to each currency amount.

To calculate any TAX inclusive amounts we just divide the grand total
by
1/11 (one eleventh)

So far so good.

Until the Govt. changes the GST Rate (they said they won't but we all
know
they eventually will)

So I don't want to hard code "Divide Grand total by one eleventh" to
get any
GST inclusive amounts.
If the GST amount is changes to say... 12.5 per cent - it won't work -
obviously

So.for all the mathematically inclined folk out there..
Is there a clever formula for working out GST Inclusive prices
regardless of
the Current TAX rate?
Just like the one eleventh business works for 10 percent?

Many thanks

Darren