[AccessD] Outlook 2K automation warning

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Jan 19 15:52:42 CST 2005

On 19 Jan 2005 at 12:47, Charlotte Foust wrote:

> They "broke" it by plugging a security hole.  I can't think of any way
> for the machine to know wether a particular instance of a program trying
> to use Outlook is legitimate or not.  There a web bugs that can "phone
> home" and trojans that can use your machine in a DDOS attack, which
> leaves *you* liable.  Which aggrevation would you prefer?

I prefer the third option. An email client that doesn't automagically run
malicious code or execute web bugs.  That's why I don't use Outlook/OE :-)

As with their recent anti-spyware beta (or is it really just a disguised
Windows registration validator and piracy hunter?),  MS is demonstrating
that they're better at  mopping floors than at fixing leaky roofs :-)

--
Stuart