[AccessD] Save dll to folder

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Jan 23 16:48:31 CST 2005

On 23 Jan 2005 at 16:40, Reuben Cummings wrote:

> > 3 The Windows system directory.
>
> I think this is the most reasonable location to place the dll as I will be
> adding this feature to all my apps.
>
> My question then becomes how do I always get it installed to the proper
> folder.  It's concievable, highly unlikely, but concievable, that the system
> folder is named differently than one would suspect.  For example, I expect
> ...\system32, but who's to say someone hasn't changed it?  Is that even
> possible?  Am I over thinking this or is it a real concern.
>
> I just need a way to always get this dll to the system folder and I'm done
> with this project.

You can check for the  Environment variables SystemRoot and Windir
or:

1. Use an installer than determines system directories. As an example, to
use the HJInstal (http://www.freebyte.com/hjinstall) application mentioned
the other day

"If you want to copy files into the Windows directory use the syntax
<copy files -WinDir>
To copy files into the system directory use
<copy files -SystemDir>"

2. Read the Registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRoot

3. Roll your own routine using the GetSystemDirectory or
GetWindowsDirectory API calls

--
Stuart