[AccessD] OT (Slightly) Using Windows Server with Access Database

Tom Keatley tom at rbbs.net.au
Wed Jan 26 17:27:28 CST 2005

Hi All....

I currently use Access in a network of some 15 PC's with a single PC acting
as the backend or server and all other PC's having their own frontend. These
are all part of a Gigabit network with Cat5 cable.

It has been suggested to me that we should swap over to Windows Server and
run all the pc's as "dumb" terminals as this will alleviate the hefty data
loads we drag accross the network and will also fix some of the file locking
problems that (occasionally) pop up with the current system.

Could I start a discussion with you guys on this subject as I know
absolutely NOTHING about Windows Server .....having never even seen it
running....about the pros and cons?

All input would be gratefully recieved

REgards

Tom Keatley