[AccessD] Re: AccessD Digest, Vol 29, Issue 35

connie.kamrowski at agric.nsw.gov.au connie.kamrowski at agric.nsw.gov.au
Wed Jul 27 20:50:58 CDT 2005

Hello List,

Just when it seemed I had all the information I needed up pops another good
one.

I have been meeting today with a group of people who have been implementing
a rather unique process for managing their data. They firstly store
approximately 475000 records in one table in an Access Database, They then
run a query on this database which creates 385000+ records and sticks them
in a second database, they then run a query on this one generating 285000
records and store this in ... you guessed it Database number 3. To finish
it off they query again, store the results in a 4th database and use this
one for day to day business. The databases range in size from 1.05gigabytes
back to 370Megabytes. I was in awe.

I am now designing a new relational database to store and manage this data.

My problem is this, the business drivers for this database have now got
soem concerns for the integrity of the data (possibly based on the look on
my face when they showed me the databases). And so while I am redesigning
and they are finding the money for rebuilding they wish to archive off some
of the records in the largest database. They would however need to be able
to search and manipulate these records. What is the best way to manage
this?

I am astounded by the way some people use Access,

Connie Kamrowski

Analyst/Programmer
Information Technology
NSW Department of Primary Industries
Orange

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient or received
it in error, please delete the message and notify sender. Views expressed
are those of the individual sender and are not necessarily the views of
their organisation.