[AccessD] Reporting field properties

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 16 13:17:39 CDT 2005

Hi Stuart:

If you have a number of computers users, many far-flung, from you how do you
make sure that the operators have the specific ODBC driver setup and
installed? It traditionally takes a manual installation to set up the
Oracle/SQL drivers. With ADO these drivers are automatically installed on
every computer.

ADO drivers are significantly faster any ODBC driver. Case in point; given a
client using an Oracle ODBC driver to connect from their Access application
to their data. A simple query could take upwards 5 minutes to process
(Especially if it required returning a large amount of data...like a
report). Abandoning the ODBC driver for an ADO-OLE configuration reduced the
process time to less than a minute.

The only place where DAO shows superior performance to ADO is when it is
connecting to an MDB database but even then it is not a major difference.

The only time I use the default DAO drivers is when I am trying to
boiler-plate a quickie for a client or a service call on an existing system.
I have not built a major application on the DAO data tier since 1998 so I
apologies for being very prejudice.

Jim