[AccessD] Conversion to Express

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 26 15:32:59 CDT 2005

Thanks Marty -- I'll take a look!

Susan H.

Not too much on actual conversion but maybe something here in these MS and
MSDN blogs although lots on actual connection of the Access and Express.
 A lot of these sites do not appear to be open to Google or other search
engines.

FAQ: How to connect to SQL Express from "downlevel clients"(Access 2003, VS
2003, VB 6, etc
http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2004/07/23/192044.aspx

You will find this EM tool helpful for conversion of Access (released last
month).

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Manager - Community Technology Preview
June 2005 (New replacement for SQL Enterprise Manager)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C7A5CC62-EC54-4299-
85FC-BA05C181ED55&displaylang=en

Visual Studio Express Editions  MSDN forums
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=24

Securing Your SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Server
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsse/html/
ssesecurity.asp

Connecting Access and SQL Express 2005
http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/

SMO Replaces SQL-DMO
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/40993/40993.html?Ad=1

Silly Billy's have turned of search function for upgrades to this newsgroup

microsoft.private.sqlserver2005.express
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=sqlserver2005&sl
cid=us

One interesting post on this newsgroup
Just in passing concerning future design about ADP's from Access 2003 on
down that will not play fair with SQL Server 2005 Express (replacement for
MSDE).

Re: Access 2002 and SQL Express
From:  "Mary Chipman [MSFT]" <mchip at online.microsoft.com> Sent:
8/20/2004 11:30:58 AM

You will not be able to use any of the designers with SQLS 2005 databases,
whether it's SQL Express or the Developer edition. IOW, you won't be able to
create databases, tables, views or any other database objects from an ADP.
The only support that is envisioned is that you will be able to connect an
Access front-end to a SQLS 2005 back end if it is running in SQLS 2000
compatibility mode, so your forms, reports and other local Access objects
should still run. There is no service pack or quick fix being planned as far
as I know because of the amount of work it would entail. If you stop to
think about it, it's pretty hard to see how accomodating new Yukon features
like CLR assemblies and complex data types in the ADP designers could be
achieved without a complete rewrite.

--Mary Chipman

The problem has been know about for some time. SQL Server 2005 is a major
rewrite and at the time they began development they decided they would not
provide access to its features from Access and ADPs mainly becasue they view
Access as a power user application - STILL. Lot of .NET stuff built into
SQLS erver 2005 and they figured it wasnt worth the cost or effort to
rewrite the ADP functionality in Access to deal with this.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.