[AccessD] Connecting MS Access 2000 to SQL Server 2000

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Wed Jul 27 12:46:18 CDT 2005

If you are basically selecting data for reporting you might switch to pass
through queries. This has worked well for me.
Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul M. Jones [mailto:pjones at btl.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 12:14 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] Connecting MS Access 2000 to SQL Server 2000

I have an application initially written in Access 97 and then moved to
2000.  It talks to a SQL Server 2000 database using tables linked through
an ODBC driver.  Lately I have had several instances where I call a stored
procedure to perform an operation but I don't receive a response from the
SQL Server even though the operation was carried out successfully.  This
leaves my application hanging.  I suspect it has to do with the ODBC
connection.  Anybody has any experiences with this type of issue?

On a related note, is there a better way of linking my tables to the SQL
Server other than to use an ODBC driver?  I have a couple of newer projects
that use ADP but unfortunately, it's not an option for me at this point
since I have too many queries that I'll need to convert to either stored
procedures or views.

Thanks

Paul M. Jones