[AccessD] Detecting Database Connection Type?

Michael R Mattys mmattys at rochester.rr.com
Mon Jun 13 20:18:50 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Gracie" <Robert at servicexp.com>
To: "'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'"
<accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 8:38 PM
Subject: RE: [AccessD] Detecting Database Connection Type?

> Michael,
>  The problem is a little deeper that that. We have several laptop users,
> each with wireless capabilities that automatically connect to the LAN. I
> have instructed them, (sigh) time and time again, that they must plug into
> the network, via a LAN jack before logging in the program. I'm at the
point
> now where I need to come up with a solution that works to prevent a
wireless
> connection to this one program. All laptop users are running Win XP.
>
> I sure hope there is a "Coded" solution, as I don't want to convert this
> program to SQL....
>
> I hope this helps...

Robert,

Wow. Well, this is going to be hit or miss.
I figure it must be WMI related. So, I tried a search
on Google for [ wmi wireless +dim ]. 37 hits.

I saw
"How to Detect Network Connection"
"Enable / Disable 802.1x with some script"
"Disabling Wireless Driver"
"WMI MSNdis_80211_ReceivedSignalStrength"

That MSNdis_80211 could be another search term.

I'm thinking the front-end will need to execute code before
connecting that will disable (well, how would you say it?)
wireless connections while the FE is open.
Good luck to you :)
I may need whatever your solution is someday!

----

Michael R. Mattys
Mattys MapLib for Microsoft MapPoint
http://www.mattysconsulting.com