[AccessD] Windows Printer Sharing Question

Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software bchacc at san.rr.com
Wed Mar 23 13:11:18 CST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software
To: dba-tech
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:19 AM
Subject: Windows Printer Sharing Question

I am implementing my new machine - Hal9004.  It came with Win XP Home.

My current development machine is Hal9002 with WIN XP Pro.
The backup development machine is Hal9001 - Windows 2000.
Hal9001 has the shared printer hooked to it.

When I start Hal9001 it prompts me for user name and password to which I simply press enter.  User name is Administrator with no password.

Hal9002 has no problem printing through Hal9001.

But the new box - Hal9004 requires that I connect to Hal9001 before it will 'see' the printer.  I go to network neighborhood on Hal9004, click on Hal9001's shared drive C, put in the user name Administrator and no password, and everything's fine - I can print from Hal9004 through the network printer on Hal9001.

Of course, this is a PITA and I'd like Hal9004 to see the network printer without having to do this connecting trick just like it's older brother Hal9002..

BTW, all the drives are shared.

Any ideas how to fix this?

MTIA,

Rocky Smolin