[AccessD] Seeking your Access Runtime Experiences

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Mar 1 12:13:46 CST 2005

Hi Mark,
If you know all of the machines your app will be running on have the same
configuration and includes Access there would be little point to use
runtime.

I use a runtime via Wise Install Builder and Sagekey Access scripts for
everything I distribute. Saves the client money, ensures you have what you
need on the end user's machine and has generally saved me a lot of headaches
over the last half dozen years. You do have to do a little prep for it for
which the "/runtime" command line switch comes in handy. Making your own
toolbars and menus is probably the biggest issue.

I can offer no advice on native MS runtime building capability lately. All I
can say it that it used to be poor.

The issue that seems to pop up with most people is the cost of Wise/Sagekey.
I have seen it as a cost savings but then I also can justify it because I'm
the boss and would rather have money coming in than complaints :o)

I can relay to you that one of my (very fiscally short-sighted) clients that
I do general consulting for has an Access application that is not
distributed via runtime. It has cost them more in the last year to purchase
Office Pro than it would have cost to just buy the developer Wise/Sagekey
and send them to training to learn how to use it. They have no reason to
purchase Office Pro other than this app and it is over double the cost to
have Office 2k3 Pro versus Office k3 Basic.)

John B.