[AccessD] report grouping on the fly?

Mcgillivray, Don [ITS] donald.a.Mcgillivray at mail.sprint.com
Tue Mar 8 11:27:18 CST 2005

Hi, Roz (and Tom),

I used the following approach to create a report grouped according to
user preferences.  Not near as complex as what you're proposing, but
this might be helpful as a starting point for where you're going.
Here's what I did:

1.  Built a query using generic aliases for the variable
grouping/sorting fields (EmployeeName as GroupSortVal1,  EmployeeNumber
as GroupSortVal2, etc.)

2.  Designed a report based on the query, using the generic field names
as the group/sort values.

3.  Designed a report spec form with combo boxe(s) offering a selection
of grouping options.

4.  User selects the desired group field(s), and I use the choice(s) to
build the SQL for a new query, assigning the chosen grouping fields to
the appropriate aliases.

5.  Update the query's SQL property with the new SQL string.

6.  Open the report.

Since the grouping/sorting is being done in the report on generic
aliases, the report doesn't care which fields/values from the query the
aliases represent.  Could get kinda ugly, but I'd guess you could
pre-position other controls bound to aliased fields, and assign fields
to the aliases as needed for other elements of the report, too.

HTH

Don