[AccessD] OT: North Carolina

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Wed Mar 16 11:15:20 CST 2005

John,

I lived in Norfolk VA for about 10 years (military).  I left in 1987.
Because I grew up in Minnesota, some things were memorable to me because of
the contrast.

Weather: If you are going to live within 30 miles of the coast, be prepared
for high humidity year round - including winter.  When you go outside in
winter, your clothes offer little insulation because the humidity passes
heat through your clothes so quickly.  I was warmer in MN because I could
dress for the weather.

Roads:  Some of the roads in the older cities are, as you might expect,
lacking in planning.  If you're coming from a modern city you'll notice.

Houses:  No Basements is the norm.  This was a surprise to me since a
basement doubles your square footage.  But in that climate they have no
frost so basements aren't needed.  And if you're near the coast, they could
be below sea level.  On the other hand, people who've been there all their
lives are surprised at what a basement is!

Culture:  A few folks may still have trouble letting go of the Civil War and
the 'Southern Culture'.  I hope I don't offend anyone with this but it was
true when I was there.

Best of Luck!
Dan Waters
www.ProMationSystems.com