[AccessD] packing a dbf from within Access 97

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Mar 19 03:58:56 CST 2005

Hi Boogie Loogie (?)

Further to this I would say it may not even be needed to relink the
table - it just has to be closed before you initiate the rewrite of the
table.
Do check, though, that indices are rebuilt correctly.

/gustav

>>> martyconnelly at shaw.ca 03/19 12:22 am >>>

The solutions below here is to export the table to new dbf and break
the
link then rename dbf file either in code or after exiting access
Test this on copies..
DoCmd.TransferDatabase acExport, "dBase 5.0", "C:\mydir\",,"TableName",

"mynewfile.dbf"
The deleted records should then be removed.
There are caveats with shape dbf files
http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=listserve.messageShow&m=13020

Boogie Loogie wrote:

>Actually when using access to delete records from a dbf file they are
>infact not deleted. They are only marked for delete. Access
recognizes
>that files that are marked as deleted, flagged if you will, should
not
>appear. Other programs need the dbf packed, thus a true delete, or
>else the records will display. Not really the fault of either
>software...just the way the manufacturers handled the situation when
>developing.
>
>Oh well I will try and write my own utility to see what I can come up
with.