[AccessD] Replicated .mdb and SQL Server

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 31 11:06:10 CST 2005

Here is a starting point on SQL Server Replication,
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=169612&seqNum=3
You are going to have to decide whether you can get by with Merge
replication and MSDE
or buy multiple SQL licenses to handle full transactional replication. I
am not sure if SQL 2005 Express
(the latest Beta incarnation of MSDE) handles transactional replication.
You will have to look at the requirements for the salesman, do they need
access to real time data
and or will they have almost constant internet connections via wireless
like a blackberry or cell phone connections.
with this you might get away with running multiple Access FE's to a
single remote SQL server. Connection coverage areas
than enter the picture, if you have salesmen going out to places like
Moose Pasture Saskatchewan, this may present problems.
So you may want a pushed merged copy of  the latest data on a MSDE to
use when no connection is present.
Then there maybe a question of using VPN for connection security.
There is a whole series of articles on SQL replication here.
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/
search on sql replication
 You realize that even some experienced SQL DBA's feel unsure of
themselves getting into replication.
So you may want to go with the simple Access FE to a remote SQL Server.